Written by Miaisha Peoples, Feb 17 2016
Some nights you just want food to be quick and easy, and you still need it to taste wonderful. On those nights, I have a simple recipe for you to try. Not only does it taste great but the prep and clean up are pretty moderate as well. I love Smoked Sausage so it is one of my go to meats for a lot of my meals but I like this recipe because it is still hearty and fulfilling without the heavy feeling. My camera died before the cheese melted 🙁 but I tried to capture some pictures at each stage. Without further ado I will give you recipe for the Easy Sausage Tortellini Skillet!
What you will need:
1 can of Classico Vodka Sauce
1 1/2 cup Colby Jack Cheese
13 oz of Smoked Turkey Sausage , cut into pieces ( You can use Pork/Beef if you prefer)
1 bag of Frozen Tortellini stuffed with beef ( You can use unstuffed as well but the man in my house likes meat so I give him both the beef and sausage option 🙂 )
1/4 cup onions
2 cups of Veggies of choice ( I used Broccoli and Cauliflower)
1/2 tablespoon of minced garlic ( More or less based on your taste preference)
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 tablespoon of Italian Seasoning, halved ( I used Mrs. Dash but any version will do)
Cast Iron Skill is preferred but not required
Getting to IT!
- With your cast iron on medium high heat warm up your olive oil.
- Add your onion and garlic and saute.
- Add your cut sausage and continue to saute and add one half of your tablespoon of Italian Seasoning.
- Next add your veggies and stir well.
- Add your tortellini and saute closer to the bottom of the skillet making sure to stir so it doesn’t stick. Add more olive oil if you need to do so.
- Add the other half of the seasoning and stir well until the tortellini looks tender.
- Add vodka sauce stir to coat everything and let simmer.
- Once the sauce has simmered and is bubbly add cheese to top of dish.
- Let the cheese melt.
- Serve and enjoy with some Texas Toast and a small salad if you wish!
Hopefully you enjoy this quick and easy weeknight meal! Leave your comments below if this is something you would like to try or you have tried. I would LOVE to hear from you!